At least 63 killed, 182 wounded in Kabul wedding blast
KABUL, AUG 18 (DNA) – At least 63 people were killed and 182 wounded in a blast at a Kabul wedding late Saturday.
The explosion came just as the US and the Taliban are widely expected to sign off on a deal that would see American troops begin to depart Afghanistan in return for various security assurances from the insurgents.
Kabul Afghanistan explosion in a hotel during a wedding party, about 20 patients arrived up to now at our hospital #masscasualty,” the Italian-run Emergency hospital of Kabul said on Twitter.
Interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said the blast occurred in a west Kabul wedding hall around 10:40pm (1810 GMT).
He shared on Facebook photos showing several apparent bodies inside a dining area.
Afghan weddings are epic and vibrant affairs, with hundreds or often thousands of guests celebrating inside industrial-scale wedding halls where the men are usually segregated from the women and children.
Mohammad Farhag, who had been at the wedding, said he had been in the women’s section when he heard a huge blast in the men’s area.
“Everyone ran outside shouting and crying,” he said.
“For about 20 minutes the hall was full of smoke. Almost everyone in the men’s section is either dead or wounded. Now, two hours after the blast, they are still taking bodies out of the hall.”=DNA
China suspends planned tariffs on US goods
SHANGHAI: China has suspended additional tariffs on some US goods that were meant to beRead More
Indian journalist Shireen Dalvi refuses award in protest against citizenship bill
Renowned Urdu journalist Shireen Dalvi returned her 2011 Special Prize by the Maharashtra State UrduRead More